Friday, April 07, 2006

 

Neglected instruments: The Bongo Drum

I was going to mention this in my last post but it was getting a bit lengthy and I didn't want to go off on a tangent.

I notice that a lot of Marvin's '70s work featured bongo drums extensively and I have to admit when I think of Marvin I think of the bongo drums. The instrument really has an addictive quality to the ear. I think I could just sit and listen to bongo drums for hours on end and never get tired of it.

It's a shame that a lot of modern R&B doesn't utilize it the way Marvin did. Even when they want to use something of that quality they go with electronic beat box type of machines that just don't capture the rythm of the actual bongos. I know that Marvin was heading in that direction in the 80s but i'm sure he would've found a use for the bongo drums.

So to end this post off:

R&B acts, USE THE BONGO DRUMS FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?