Wednesday, August 23, 2006

 

A smorgasboard of topics!

I've fallen behind on my intended posts so we're going to do something a little different. I'm going to throw out different topics and do them "quick hit" style. If anyone wants me to elaborate by all means leave a comment. I'll see it sooner or later.

- Finally finished reading the 1st volume of Astro City TPB. Wow what a great read. My favourite story in the TPB was of the one about the criminal who feels like he's going to get caught by one of the superheros. (that's all i'll say about it) You really got the sense of dread and doom in the criminal character's psyche. Another great story was the one where the Editor of the major newspaper recounts his first brush with superherodom back in the '60s. Again it was pretty powerful stuff and I liked the atmospheric mood of the storytelling throughout the TPB. This is definitely among my favourite comic book works.

- Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer to ever play IMO but in some ways I feel he missed a great opportunity. Now don't get me wrong, he's the biggest cash cow in PGA history. Did you know that before Tiger there were only 3 millionaires on the tour. After Tiger there are 15(!) millionaires on the tour right now. Yet, Tiger Woods could've been an even bigger phenomenon. He had the golden opportunity to expand the game's popularity to people of all stripes. In the beginning it looked like that was going to be the case. Early in Woods' career he had a very raucous and loud gallery following him. He had a rock star quality to him and in many ways his fans were very much like "Arnie's Army" from the 1960s. Tiger Woods tapped into every available market and he was the catalyst for the short but so far very profitable boom period where it seemed every kid in North America was taking up the sport. Unfortunately, Tiger became a corporate entity once his status as a great PGA golfer was assured. Since then, Tiger has become aloof and while he's still a pretty good ambassador to the game he comes across as someone who is forced to make nice to the media.

- My birthday is coming up. I can't believe i'm turning 27! Already there are 3 or 4 grey hairs on my head. "sigh". I don't know what i'll be doing for the big day tho.

- As of this writing a 1977 broadcast of the St. Louis Cardinals vs. the Philadelphia Eagles is in transit to my house. As with some of my other discs i'll give this broadcast a write up on here. I'm going to have to find some kind of video capture software or whatever and put up pics on here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?