Tuesday, July 10, 2007

 

Things I find online #1 "Trouble Man" from film to LP

Here's a video of the opening credits to the blaxploitation film TROUBLE MAN. Now you may think what's so great about this? Well as you may or may not know Marvin Gaye did the soundtrack for said movie. I had heard that the actual film score is vastly different from the studio album because Marvin didn't like how it came out. I always sorta discounted that story but lo and behold the opening credits with the title song "Trouble Man" seems to confirm it.


Trouble Man #1972
Uploaded by TroubleMan00


Here's the studio cut of the song


Trouble Man
Uploaded by TroubleMan00


As you can plainly see the original take had a rougher quality. I particularly like that you hear Marvin scatsinging to himself in the movie version. The studio cut however, is far jazzier and has more gravitas to it. Marvin's singing is also slightly better especially with the proto rapping he does.

All in all there's aspects to both versions of the song that I love. I love the moody jazz of the studio cut but I also really dig the rougher and at times catchier version in the movie. However for commercial success Marvin was right to redo the song.

Still it's pretty interesting stuff.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?